Monday, September 29, 2008

Scooter!

First and foremost, for those that are wondering, yes, I survived this weekend's festivities. I basically avoided entering the physical space surrounding the fair (luckily they blocked off the back alley that leads to the entrance of my building), but Beth & I did get a chance to go up on the roof of our building with some people and watch from up there for a while. That was good enough for me.

In other news, when we were coming home from Berkeley Sunday afternoon we walked by a store that I see all of the time that sells electric scooters. They happened to have a sign up that the models they're selling, which normally go for $2500, are on sale for $1195 because the manufacturer is trying to promote them. As you all know, it's been less than a month since I arrived here, and I haven't been exactly carless when you consider all of the weekend trips to Target/CostCo/etc, but I'm thinking this might be a nice option for occasional trips to the other side of the city. They can go up to 30mph (which should be fast enough to keep up with most city traffic), are legal to ride in traffic OR the bike lane, are completely electric (no gas), and most importantly, look pretty dorky. They're perfect!

I still haven't made a final decision, but the sale supposedly ends tomorrow. I may have to change the title of this blog to "Adventures On A Green Bee Scooter" if temptation gets the best of me.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Go FOR IT! And, post pictures! And most importantly ~ don't forget a helmet :)

Neil K. said...

Finally, you may join the ranks of the two-wheelin' SOBs!!!

Of course, yours ain't highway legal and runs on electricity, but hey, it's a step in the right direction! You have to learn to crawl before you walk, I suppose. Though I'm loathe to admit it, scooters got me into Harleys, eventually.

Go ahead, take the plunge. Now to just add saddlebags, leather fringe, and American flag to your green machine!

:)

-n