Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I'm here!

I wanted to give everyone (all 0 of you that are reading this as of now) a quick update on life, but this one is going to have to be somewhat short, because I actually have work to do. I'm still the new guy, and I need to at least attempt to make a good impression!

In a nutshell, after about 10 years of talking about it, all planning went out the window and I moved to San Francisco on a whim.

- For July 4th weekend, Beth and I came up to the Bay Area to visit my mom. During the trip we talked about how awesome it would be to live here, but since I had said that about a million times before, I figured we were just dreaming.
- During that same trip, one of Beth's closest friends (who lives in the city) mentioned that she could get us an amazing deal on an apartment in her building. I still figured we were just dreaming out loud.
- After returning back to Phoenix, we talked about it some more, and after a couple of weeks I posted my resume on dice just to see what kind of response I would get (still thinking this would go nowhere).
- During the next three weeks, things were a blur. I was pretty much bombarded, mostly with recruiters, and spent about 1-2 hours per day doing phone screens with many of the recruiters/companies that contacted me, somehow fitting it all in before and after work.
- I ultimately lined up interviews with three of the companies, and flew up to San Francisco the morning of August 7th, stuffing in _long_ interviews with all 3 companies on the 7th and 8th. The first company I met with, the evening of the 7th, ended up making me an offer the same day.
- Beth then flew up to meet me on the 9th, we signed the lease paperwork at the apartment, and on the 10th we drove back to Phoenix in my mom's car, which she was nice enough to loan me for a few weeks.

After that, the rest is history. We sold both of our cars, rented out our houses (to friends), quit our jobs, and got everything loaded into a UHaul, all in about 3 weeks. We finally left AZ the morning of the 3rd, arrived in SF on the 4th, and we (okay, mostly Beth) have been unpacking ever since. I started the new job yesterday, and still can't believe it was only two months ago that this whole thing started.

Gotta run, but I'll just end by saying that walking to work and living in the city is pretty damn awesome.

5 comments:

Neil K. said...

I'm glad you're happy man! What a great story, too. Now your homework is to track down some tasty and sketchy Mexican food joints in the city, so I can kill two burritos with one stomach while I'm there visiting you. Say hi to Beth for me, and I hope the good times (continue to) roll!

-neil

Amy said...

That's so great that you both got your houses rented out!

I'll be there mid October (hopefully... assuming I don't die working on this stupid thesis.) I'll second what Neil said about burritos. MMMMMMMmmmm....

Unknown said...

Jason that is so awesome! Kelly and Cole decided they are going to move there in December. SO I'm sure I'll be up there eventually too! Have you checked out Farallon yet? That place is SOOO good! Anyway, I'm jealous! :)

notsosmallfries said...

Hey! Glad it all worked out so well. John and I are trying to arrange a trip to SF in December--hinging on if my folks will watch Zeke. We'll have to meet for drinks or dinner.

-Dacia

Marc said...

Congrats on the safe and successful move. I can't wait to read more about your adventures in SF and at the new startup. I see you're on twitter too, woot!