Monday, September 15, 2008

I Hate Target

Before two weeks ago, I hadn't moved in over 5 years (and the last time I was just out of school, so I didn't have a ton of money to spend on luxuries like furniture). I'm still learning just how much _crap_ you have to buy when you move into a new place -- especially when you got rid of a lot of stuff that wouldn't have survived a long-distance move. Beth & I have had to make three trips to Target in the last two weeks, and after this weekend's venture, I officially hate Target.

This time we had to drag my mom with us because, as you all know, I don't have a car. The premise of the trip was that we had to return one of the two bookshelves we bought, because the geniuses that made it forgot to drill the pre-drilled holes in one of the sides of the frame. While we were there, we ended up picking up three more bookshelves (one to replace the defective one), a whole bunch of stackable pieces that will form two dressers, and a microwave. We only got around to opening the microwave box yesterday, and found that the top of it is totally dented in. After that I just didn't have the energy to open any of the other boxes.

Beth and I have already agreed that we're going to live with a dented microwave if it turns out that all of the other things we bought are fine. Anyone want to take a bet that I'll be heading back to Target next weekend?

(On a positive note, we finally got internet in the apartment this weekend.)

3 comments:

EvilBeet said...

I made like 18000 trips to Target when I moved to Seattle. I feel your pain.

Neil K. said...

You know, my old hermit roommate Andy avoided almost all trips to the store and ordered everything and anything he possible could from Amazon. I'm surprised you city-dwellers haven't evolved to a delivery-only consumption model quite yet. Wasn't SF the test market where all those online grocers like Kozmo and Peapod and whatnot cut their teeth? Oh wait, none of them are around any more. Never mind.

I feel your pain, man. That all said, be lucky your space is limited to where you'll have to be picky about what you get. If you get a big house, there's ALWAYS room for one more piece of crap, and I wonder why my CC bill is so big every month! :)

Good luck with the everlasting buildout,
-N

Jason said...

Yeah, you'd definitely think delivery would make more sense, but apartment buildings here can actually be a huge pain in the ass when it comes to having stuff dropped off. I never realized the convenience of allowing UPS/FedEx to just leave stuff on my doorstep.