Friday, July 24, 2009

Shameless Plug (even though I'm not getting paid for it)

Since I haven't been posting lately, there have actually been a few things that have happened in my life that I haven't written about here -- some big, like getting engaged, and some not so big, like discovering something actually cool to do on the small island we live on. Today I'm going to write about the latter.

A couple of weekends ago Beth & I decided to finally check out a place called Bladium on the other end of Alameda from us. About a quarter of the island is actually covered by an old Navy base that was closed in 1997, and some businesses have come in and found ways to use the space. We decided to drive over there because I was really in the mood to go climbing, something I hadn't done since last fall (yes, I sucked, but at least I went). Anyway, this place was amazing -- they converted an old air hangar into a gym and it's unbelievable how much is there. We just bought days passes to use the rock wall, but they also have 2 soccer fields, 2 basketball courts, an inline hockey rink, and a boxing ring -- all full size -- plus a full gym upstairs with weights and treadmills, and a bar/restaurant so people can eat & drink while they watch the league games going on down below.

I haven't joined yet but I was pretty impressed, and it didn't escape me that the place is less than a mile from the ferry that I never bike to, so I could theoretically stop by it on the way home if I wasn't lazy. Here's a link to the place.

End of shameless plug.

2 comments:

Neil K. said...

Wow, that sounds awesome. We have a destination for the next time I roll through Alameda, homie! Hope you and Beth are happy, healthy and well. I miss the good ole days of the PRG, for sure. Take care, -neil

Jason said...

I definitely miss PRG too, and the easy routine. Maybe some day...